Thursday, August 14, 2008

Can I just say...?

I'm tired of reading articles about leadership that start out telling you something like, "the challenges leaders face are more complex today than ever". Don't we know that by now? And they always mention globalization. Yes, the world has been getting smaller forever! You've just noticed?

I also get annoyed with the baby boomers continuing to comment on "technology" (catch-all term for all the gadgets they struggle to learn how to use) and how it's changing everything. Please stop talking about that - it just makes you sound old.

Complexity and technology are not big news anymore. They're givens. I guess I (vintage 1965, first year of Generation X) just don't remember a time when technology wasn't changing things. (It all started with the VCR: allowing us to have some control of our media diet beyond "on" or "off".) I'm kind of stuck in age-identity limbo, right between the boomers and the thirty-somethings. I'm not a techie, myself. I never learned to program a VCR, and I don't use nearly all of the features on my camera, but I definitely feel more on the side of the younger generation in my attitude to technology.

No comments: